K POP

What, pray tell, does K POP stand for? Korean pop music, of course. I've become addicted to this group, Brown Eyed Girl and their song Abracadabra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktWxA5W09A.

I'm addicted to Youtube. If it's not google, it's Youtube. Anyway, I was on the page of a Canadian couple I subscribe to and they were doing a round up of their fav K Pop songs of 2009 and this song was their #1. I was hooked. I've always loved music, all kinds of music. I don't limit myself to a particular genre because of the color of my skin. How boring would that be? That's like me only allowing myself to only eat one particular item in a big ass buffet. I love all types of music. I've loved pop, rap, and r&b. One year, when I was 17, I only allowed myself to listen to K Earth 101, the oldies station out here and nothing else. I was so into oldies back then that for my birthday, one of my friends bought me an Aretha Franklin CD with all her greatest songs. I loved that CD. Things took a change after the big earthquake of 94. It was a day or two after and I was so terrified I couldn't sleep. Our mom had bought each of us mini radios and because I couldn't sleep, I put in my earplugs and was searching for a station that would play a song I liked enough to help me relax and go to sleep. I was nearing the end of the stations when I heard a guy blaring out "Rape me." Needless to say, I was shocked and changed the station. I went back to see where the song had come from and it turned out to be Love Line, a popular late night radio talk show where people could talk about pretty much whatever they wanted to talk about. I listened to the many calls from people just as freaked out as I was and I felt a sense of peace or calm, because I wasn't alone. I was finally able to fall asleep. I woke up the next day, determined to find out the call letters/numbers of the station so that I could plug it into my car. The station was KROQ, 106.7. Listening to that station introduced me to rock music, in the truest sense. I'd never listened to that kind of music before. I was listening to groups like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, REM, Candlebox, Toad the Wet Sprocket, just to name a few. Through this station, I was part of the grunge era, flannel shirts, combat boots and all, much to my mom's great dislike. My taste in music is definitely varied. I love all kinds of music from old standards, to Naija jams, to classical, jazz, even some country (but if it gets too country, I tune out). I've passed that love of music to the Munchkin. So much so, that my kid can rock out to a rock band like Disturbed and get so happy when he hears Timaya or Psquare.

Comments

T.Notes said…
hmm,also guilty of indulging them late night call-in radio shows,just for that tinee assurance that somebody's also up at that hour n likely also having abit of a crummy day!

N yayyy go your lil rocker dude! Hi-5 him4 me!

Popular posts from this blog

putting myself in the crosshairs

Setting my heart free